Saturday, February 26, 2011

What Does He Want?

So this last weekend while at my friend Emily's, - we were talking about one of our favorite topics... home organization.... : )  She commented that she loved her pared down cup and plate cabinet. I looked at it and said, -" I love it too -  And I HATE mine!! It is a disaster!There just is NOT enough room!"
Then she asked a question and I litterally felt the lightbulb POP over my head.
"What does Andrew like?"
In ONE second I knew what to do. All the way home I couldn't wait to get to my kitchen so I could clean my kitchen cabinet! :)

You see, - HERE is what is has been looking like.... I have tried and tried different ways to sort and organize, but every time I go to put away cups and plates, - they never fit in the same way, - and it drove me crazy!!!

Your thinking 'not bad'? Well what about the stuff in the dishwasher that STILL has to fit? - Oh, - and all the cups I have scattered around the house.... :( I am not kidding when I say, - things just would not fit. The rare times every dish was clean, - it would overflow into other cabinets which I hate!!

In that one question though, - 'what does andrew want?' I felt my focus narrow, and I knew exactly what to do. - You see, - my husband loves eating off of 'real' plates and drinking from 'real' glasses.
 I on the other hand have loved my plastic stuff because I don't have enough of the glass for much company, we have large families, and feed people often, and I  have a 5 year old. 
Ok. Confession. My 5 year old prefers glass too. And though he helps himself to drinks and snacks, and helps with dishes, he has NEVER in his life broken a dish of any kind.
ME on the other hand last spring, - when I was so morning sick, (it must have thrown off my balance) I broke a cup almost once a week for about two months. Not kidding. Finally Justice got fed up and lectured me... "SEE mom, how I am holding this cup caaaaarefulllllly?? - I don't break cups, mom. - See, you just need to be more careful!!! "

I DO need plastic plates and cups.. BUT. Do I need them out all the time? HaHA! This was the lightbulb! Why not put them with the paper goods in the closet?- My husband would be thrilled to be able to open the door and grab the glass he wanted instead of digging for 30 minuntes. Also, - he might try to put them away again someday if he thought the job was now possible! :)

The results!!!
Ahhhh.... HUGE side benefit! - There aren't as many dishes to get dirty! :)


Here is something else I thought I'd share from last spring. I used to have a far far wose cabinet. If someone had to open it I would wish them good luck. You were lucky if  you opened it and nothing dropped on your head! It was the container cabinet for storing left overs. We had accumulated a lot of assorted containers over the years, all different shapes and sizes, with all shapes and sizes of lids. My husband hated this cabinet! So finally I spent a looong time in the container isle in wal-mart and picked out the perfect set. Six sizes, a more shallow or deeper one of small, medium or large, with only three sizes of lids. All the lids snap on the bottom of the containers, or each other. It was pricey, and that is why I hadn't ever done it before.But the results were AmaZing!! My husband tells me all the time how much he loves the new containers, and how it is the best money I ever spent. :)


Unfortunately I don't have a before picture... but it was worse than you can imagine!

  The goal of this post is to encourage you, when making decisions around your house, when you know of areas that bother your husband, - when you are looking for a solution to a problem, - ask, "What does he want?"
Maybe your husband doesn't care about your kitchen cabinets. : )  But he probably wants, like mine, - to be able to get a cup out! And help put the food away after super once in a while, or empty the dishwasher.
  As we go about our daily routine we can get stuck. Lets remember to ask ourselves... what would he want!

No comments:

Post a Comment